Thursday 12 February 2009

Putting the mockers on it

I would direct your attention to a recent post by a very good friend of mine who, like me, has been worrying away at the conundrum of the nutty fundamentalists and their inability to take a joke. He has put together some provocative ideas, and even gives me a name-check into the bargain, for which many thanks.
I have thoughts on this same topic a brewing, but am holding back just for now. Soak up Cat Vincent’s considered wisdom on the subject, though. ‘I’ve finally nailed that piece about satire and mockery,’ he says. I think so too. Have a look at it here:

http://catvincent.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/making-a-mockery/

The video inserts are spectacularly well chosen, too!

I have also been enjoying these podcast feeds, and cannot recommend them too highly to all psychonauts and alternative thinkers. Shamanic Freedom Radio has an interview with scientific heretic Dr Rupert Sheldrake and also a recording of his recent talk at Goldsmith’s College for Dr Chris French’s psychology department.
Much as I massively respect him, Sheldrake is a little too wary of Dr French in his interview, though, accusing him of being the leader in the promotion of the debunking school of British scepticism. I would award that accolade to Dr Richard Wiseman, myself, however. He is what I would call a sKeptic - namely someone whom no amount of evidence would ever convince, while Dr French is a true sceptic (note I differentiate the spelling!) who remains to be convinced, but I believe he really would be if the evidence was there. I have met both these men, and... well, I do not think Dr Wiseman would invite Dr Sheldrake to breathe anywhere near him, let alone speak to his students; quite unlike Chris French, who hosted the lecture. Listen and be informed!

The other podcast page to watch is Psychonautica in which ‘Max Freakout’ introduces some outstanding talks from the World Psychedelic Forum. Of special interest are podcasts 060 and 059 in which legendary psi-science guru Dr Stanislav Grof talks at the forum on the ‘psychology of the future: lessons from modern consciousness research.’ Also highly recommended are the sessions with Daniel Pinchbeck on the future of psychedelics, science and technology.

Feed your head!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it, old chum...